The Henry Ford Health System Division of Family Medicine, within the Henry Ford Medical Group, is seeking a Board Certified/Eligible Functional Medicine Physician as a Senior Staff Physician to join our clinical team within the Center for Integrative Medicine. This is one of the nation’s leading comprehensive health systems, providing acute, primary and preventive care services. The division is backed by excellence in research and education and a collaborative practice with the other specialties of the 1,200 physician Henry Ford Medical Group.
Functional and Lifestyle Medicine care encompasses a system-based approach to disease prevention. The Functional, Lifestyle, and Preventive Medicine physician examines and treats patients with a wide range of conditions focusing on the patient as a whole person. Lifestyle and medical history are vital to identify the underlying causes that may contribute to the onset of chronic disease including: nutrition, stress, hormonal imbalances, environmental influences, and genetics.
Typical job duties include taking extensive patient histories, performing or requesting diagnostic tests, interpreting and collating patient data, and creating a comprehensive integrated treatment plan. Follow up care involves creating strong patient relationships, ongoing diagnostic interpretation, use/knowledge of diet and supplementation, significant patient education and health coaching. The physician works closely with the Registered Dietitian and other team members to optimize the patient’s experience.
Additional duties include preparing medical records, clinical reports and correspondences, directing allied health professionals, such as nurses, physician assistants and medical assistants.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Typical job duties include:
Obtain patient history
Perform or request diagnostic tests
Interpret diagnostic data
Create treatment plan
Extensive patient education
Perform follow-up examinations and ongoing data interpretation
Prepare medical records, clinical reports and correspondences
Direct allied health professionals, such as nurses, physician assistants and medical assistants as care team partners
Participate in program development
Participate in marketing development
Participate in community wellness and education programs planned by the Functional, Lifestyle, Preventive Medicine Department
Participate in program research
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills needed for interacting with physicians and non-physician staff
- Experienced speaker who is passionate about their work
- Positive customer relations skills
- Commitment to participation in appropriate professional leadership/management education
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to accept disagreement/disapproval; outstanding diplomacy/collaboration skills
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Strong clinical skills as demonstrated by respective peers
- Demonstrated experience with service excellence towards physicians, support staff, and patients
Proven personnel interaction skills and ability to serve as a respected, professional role model
- Demonstrated ability to work within an integrated health care delivery system
- Board Certified (MD/DO) with 3+ years of clinical experience
- Clinical Experience in Functional and Lifestyle Medicine preferred
- Functional Medicine Certification preferred
- Lifestyle Medicine Certification preferred (American College of Lifestyle Medicine, American Board of Lifestyle Medicine)
- Basic understanding of health benefits of whole food plant based nutrition
REQUIRED JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, PERSONAL CAPABILITIES:
Must meet or exceed core customer service responsibilities, standards and behaviors as outlined in the HFHS’ Customer Service Policy and the Standards of Professional behavior as summarized below:
Works in both a standard medical office environment and/or clinical setting where there is no physical discomfort due to temperature, dust, noise, and the like. While in the clinical setting, one may be subject to dealing with reactive and/or potentially violent individuals. System protocols are in place to provide appropriate responsiveness. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.